Life Enrichment Manager - Riverwalk Retirement Residence
Riverwalk Retirement Residence is proud to be an innovative leader in senior support across Canada. Located in Mission, the best neighbourhood in Calgary for seniors, Riverwalk is proud to offer chef-inspired dining, best in class amenities, and care from trained staff with a passion for excellence. It is our mission to make every day the best one yet, at every level of care. Our living options range from Independent Living through to compassionate Memory Care with a range of specially-designed programs and customized support.
Come join us and help make a difference in the lives of older adults! As employees at a Verve Senior Living Retirement Residence, our primary goal is to help each person, have a great day, every day! Our employees thrive on collaboration and have a passion for excellence, achieving multiple awards including the Order of Excellence in Quality, from Excellence Canada. As part of our team, the things you do are key to helping us achieve our shared vision of helping seniors live longer, better. Oh, and you’ll also have a lot of fun doing it. Want to join us?
Under the direction of the General Manager, the Life Enrichment Manager assesses the recreational needs of each resident. Plans and directs the implementation and regular evaluation of the recreation programs for the residence, in accordance with the standards set out by management, policies and within the budgetary guidelines.
Successful completion of a diploma in therapeutic recreation /leisure studies from a recognized community college or university, applicable courses in gerontology will also be considered. Knowledge of programs and techniques in recreation, community resources and program development required. Excellent English communication skills necessary. Three to five years experience in recreation programming and/or volunteer management with the senior population. Must be proficient in Word and Excel and able to navigate our recreation software system.
- Participates and contributes to the Verve Quality Improvement (VQI) program.
- Participates in initial orientation of residents and assesses their interests, leisure and activity needs.
- Notifies Health & Wellness staff of any observed changes and/or concerns.
- Maintains records of initial assessments and programs for each resident and reviews and updates on a regular basis.
- Plans, implements, directs and evaluates the activity programs relating to the physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual needs of the residents.
- Communicates the activities of the department to residents, staff, families and the community to encourage participation in programs.
- Maintains a positive image of the residence through ongoing communications with the community and local media.
- Participates in the hiring process. Trains/orientates, and provides work direction, instruction and guidance to department staff.
- Conducts performance reviews on staff (if appropriate) as per Verve’s policies.
- Coordinates the volunteer and student placement program for the residence, including recruiting, orientating, directing and evaluating volunteer activities.
- Prepares job duty outlines as needed.
- Participates in operating and capital budget preparation, manages the department within budget and maintains accurate and up to date purchase journals.
- Orders and maintains departmental supplies
- Gathers information on community resources.
- Develops goals and objectives for the recreation department.
- Participates in committee meetings such as weekly department manager meetings, infection control, health and safety, residents’ assessment meetings as directed by the general manager.
- Establishes and maintains communication within the department and other departments to ensure needs of residents are met.
- Keeps departmental manual up to date and complies with all relevant corporate policies and procedures.
- Liaises and consults with peers at other residences and professionals in the community and industry to better meet the needs of the residents and department activities.
- Participates in the weekend duty manager rotation of the residence, as applicable.
- Completes and distributes the monthly activity calendar, surveys, invitations etc. in a timely manner.
- Attends and participates in regional life enrichment manager’s meetings.
- Completes all required annual mandatory training/education.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, and Workplace Hazardous Material Information System. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under the applicable legislation, as well as participating in in-services and fire and emergency drills.
- Performs other duties as directed by the general manager.
"We accommodate persons with disabilities in the recruitment and hiring process." All offers of employment are subject to a Criminal Background Check. We thank all who apply; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.