- Advance your career with a friendly council in a stunning location, with fantastic adventure opportunities!
- Attractive remuneration package circa $58,000 - $71,000 plus 9.5% super & salary packaging!
- Further benefits include study & training opportunities, 5 weeks annual leave & flexi-days for a 9-day fortnight!
About the Organisation and the Area
Walgett Shire Council is a local government on the border of New South Wales and Queensland that provides services to Walgett, Lightning Ridge, Collarenebri and the surrounding rural areas. The Shire covers an area of 22,000 square kilometres and has a population of approximately 6,000.
Found near the junction of the Namoi River and Barwon River, Walgett is a town full of history, tranquillity and adventure. A former paddle-steamer port, it is the northern gateway to the Darling River Run, a fascinating journey that takes in stunning landscapes and rich history.
Just under an hour's drive north, the Lightning Ridge area offers plenty of adventure, history and Outback majesty. From fossicking for opals to admiring art in an underground cave, there's something for everyone in this unique and colourful region include relaxing in naturally-heated springs, fishing on the Barwon or Namoi Rivers, and much more.
For more information about Walgett and the Lightning Ridge area, please click here.
About the Opportunity
An exciting opportunity is now available for a personable Finance Officer to join Walgett Shire Council on a full-time basis, based in Walgett, NSW.
Reporting to the Graduate Accountant, you will be responsible for managing Council's stores, stock, assets and procurement, in addition to assisting with effective debt recovery as required.
Your main responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
- Managing Council's stores, monitoring quantity levels and slow moving stock to ensure the stores operation works at optimal efficiency levels;
- Managing the procurement of stock, including the negotiation and management of supplier contracts in accordance with relevant policies and procedures;
- Ensuring that assets are recorded accurately within Council’s finance and Assets Management systems;
- Participating in the development and policy making of Council’s corporate objectives, in particular those related to good governance; and
- Assisting with other finance functions or processes such as Bank Reconciliation, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable as required.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this role you will have experience with or a qualification in business administration, accounting, bookkeeping, accounts payable or similar. Local government experience is not essential, but would be highly regarded.
You will be confident in producing a range of accurate and informative reports, and have demonstrated experience using Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Word.
Council is looking for someone a strong and effective communicator, who is personable and able to work as part of friendly and welcoming team. You will be genuinely interested in and capable of learning new processes and skills, and be highly organised and able to work within set timeframes.
About the Benefits
This is a rare chance to advance your career with a friendly, supportive council that enjoys great staff retention and a fantastic work culture. You will be joining a passionate, multi-cultural team and receive ongoing professional development opportunities to ensure your career excels.
Walgett Shire Council offers a family friendly workplace, with fantastic working conditions and benefits, including 5 weeks annual leave and flexi-days to ensure a great work/life balance, meaning you'll enjoy a 9 day fortnight!
In recognition of your hard work and dedication you will enjoy an excellent remuneration package circa $58,000 - $71,000, dependant on your experience and qualifications, plus 9.5% super and additional salary packaging options. You'll also be provided with short-term housing assistance, to help you get settled in town.
In addition, you'll be conveniently located in an office on the main street, close to local cafes and shops.
Take the next step in your career and join a supportive team in a fantastic location - Apply Now!