Home Support & Transport Workers
- Are you a people-focused customer service pro, looking to transfer those skills to a new career?
- Support vulnerable members of the Canberra community with a well-established not-for-profit organisation!
- Attractive hourly rate circa $35 - $38 plus super and salary packaging, with full training provided!
About the Organisation
First established in 1976, Northside Community Service has grown significantly to an award-winning not-for-profit organisation that employees over 150 staff and an active roster of volunteers. Passionate about working towards a more fair and inclusive community, they provide a range of support services to the residents of North Canberra, including children, seniors, and people with a disability, as well as support for young people and families, women's housing and emergency relief, social groups and community venue hire.
With an innovative approach to service delivery, involving clients and engaging the community in the decision-making process, they are committed to challenging long-held beliefs about the capacity of clients to control their journey, trusting their clients to know what is best for themselves.
About the Opportunity
Northside is currently looking for casual Home Support/Transport Workers to join their team in Canberra. There are multiple opportunities available, across a range of shifts from Monday - Sunday, working a minimum 10 hours per week.
Reporting to the Operations Manager - Aged Care & Inclusion, this is a hands-on role that will see you working to increase independence and enhance the overall quality of life for clients who are frail aged or have a disability.
Your day-to-day responsibilities will include (but will not be limited to):
- Assisting with daily living activities, including personal care, meal preparation, bill paying and domestic assistance;
- Providing transport to and from appointments, social groups and outings, as well as both accompanied and unaccompanied shopping;
- Supporting clients to make informed decisions and meet their goals, as determined by regular feedback, assessments and reviews;
- Monitoring and reporting on client health, safety and well-being, reporting any unsafe situations in the client's home to the Coordinator and/or Manager;
- Maintaining accurate client records and time sheets, providing additional documentation or reports as required; and
- Adhering to all safe working procedures and risk management policies, following best practice at all times whether in the office, in vehicles, and in the community.
The successful candidates will be enthusiastic and genuinely friendly, with a strong sense of empathy and the ability to build effective relationships with culturally diverse clients and their carers.
A Certificate III in Home and Community Services, or prior experience in aged/disability support services is not essential, provided you are eager and willing to learn these skills, and can demonstrate transferrable experience from a customer-service or client-focused role. Northside will offer full training, including support for candidates to undertake and complete this qualification.
Highly organised, you will need strong time-management skills and the ability to work both autonomously and as part of a driven and passionate team. Your strong interpersonal skills, with exceptional written and verbal communication, will be crucial to your success.
You will be comfortable using a range of computer software for client notes, time-sheets and other reports or documentation, and be able to undertake your responsibilities in a safe, timely and efficient manner.
With a genuine interest in helping older persons and people with a disability, you will be genuinely passionate about empowering individuals and providing the best experience possible to the clients in your care.
Please note: You will need a current 'C' Class Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle. You will also need to hold, or be willing to obtain, a Senior First Aid Certificate, Working with Vulnerable People Card and complete a Police Check.
About the Benefits
This is a rewarding opportunity to join the diverse, welcoming team of a passionate not-for-profit organisation and make a real difference to your local community.
Northside is offering an attractive hourly rate circa $35 - $38, negotiable based on your skills and experience, plus super and additional allowances for weekend or public holiday work.
You'll benefit from salary packaging options and highly flexible work arrangements, as well as full training and support to obtain the relevant qualifications and skills needed for your role.
Uniforms will be provided, and car parking is available on-site, when needed. Northside will pay for all travel expenses incurred as part of your role, with fleet vehicles available when needed for client transport.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop new skills & advance your career with an organisation that champions diversity, choice & innovation. Make a positive difference - Apply Now!
Northside Community Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer. They value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability, people from CALD and LGBTIQ communities.