Deputy Medical Director (KAMS) - Identified Position
- Do you want to really make a difference in your career?
- Take on this rewarding management role with the region's leading provider of Aboriginal health services!
- Attractive remuneration circa $230,000 base, PLUS district allowance AND accommodation allowances!
About the Organisation
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services LTD (KAMS) is a well-established regional Aboriginal community controlled health service, founded in 1986, which provides centralised advocacy and resource support for 6 independent member services, as well as providing direct clinical services in a further 6 remote Aboriginal communities across the region.
KAMS has successfully delivered high-quality, accessible comprehensive primary health care services over its 30 years of operation and has provided innovation and national leadership in areas such as health information management and evidence-based best practice in primary health care.
Broome is located 2,240km north of Perth and has a permanent population of 14,436. Broome promotes a relaxed and easy-going lifestyle, with nearby shopping centres, Sunday markets as well as a broad range of restaurants and entertainment options. It is founded on the traditional lands of the Yaruwu people and is rich in history, culture and beautiful surrounds.
Broome has a deep history in the pearling industry, spanning back to the 1800’s, with memorials throughout the town to commemorate those lost in the early years of pearling. Cable Beach is also a must-see, being named in honour of the Java-to-Australia undersea telegraph cable that reaches shore there. You can explore its beautiful scenery with a bit of 4WDing at low tide, or you can even take a camel ride every day at sunset!
Roebuck Bay is known as one of the most beautiful beaches that surround Broome, with its “Staircase to the moon” phenomenon drawing food and craft markets each time it occurs. The combination of a receding tide and rising moon create a natural phenomenon that can only be described as breath-taking.
About the Opportunity
Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services Ltd (KAMS) now has a rewarding opportunity for a full-time Deputy Medical Director to join their team in Broome, WA.
Please note: Due to the nature of this role, applicants are required to be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent. This is a genuine occupational requirement for this position, which is exempt under Section 14 of the Anti-discrimination Act.
Reporting to the Medical Director, you’ll be responsible for providing comprehensive primary health care in line with accepted best practice standards.
Some of your key duties will include (but will not be limited to):
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of high quality health services, ensuring continuous monitoring, quality improvement and innovation in the delivery of comprehensive primary health services;
- Supporting the education, training and on-site up-skilling of the KAMS primary health care workforce;
- Acting as a cultural champion for health services in the Kimberley;
- Leading and participating in clinical audit activities in KAMS and member services
- Assisting the Kimberley Renal Service with medical cover; and
- Assisting the Medical Director when required.
To be successful you will need:
- FRACGP, FACRRM or equivalent, with eligibility for medical registration in WA;
- Significant experience in the delivery of general practice / primary heath care;
- The ability to act as an effective member of a multidisciplinary health team;
- Experience in working effectively with Aboriginal people;
- The competency required to manage emergencies in a remote setting; and
- A commitment to the philosophy and practice of Aboriginal Community Control.
KAMS are looking for candidates with well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, along with the ability to maintain client confidentially at all times within and outside the workplace. You will have experience working within an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation or an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Community Organisation and a strong interest in developing the skills required to lead an Aboriginal Health Organisation.
A 'C' Class Driver's License, Federal Police Clearance, Working with Children Clearance, and willingness to travel often by 4WD vehicles and light aircrafts will be required.
To download a full position description, please click here.
About the Benefits
If you are looking for a change of routine, a change of lifestyle or a new adventure, this is the role for you. You will see and experience more of Australia's real outback than most people ever will - and get paid to do it!
KAMS is an organisation that truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, staff development programs are not only encouraged but are often paid for by KAMS. This is a highly attractive opportunity for someone with a desire to develop their professional knowledge and experience in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health!
While you will face diverse new challenges in this role, you will also enjoy an attractive remuneration circa $230,000 + super.
There is also a wide range of additional benefits for the role including:
- On call allowance - 10% of base salary;
- District allowances - $2,920 single $5,840 double p.a;
- Electricity allowance $1,440
- Accommodation allowance $13,000;
- Mobile phone allowance $100 per month;
- 6 weeks' annual leave & 2 weeks' study leave;
- Annual Airfares to the value of $1,285 pa (after 12 months of employment).
Don't miss this exciting and rewarding opportunity to have a positive impact on the health outcomes of Indigenous communities in the spectacular Kimberley region - Apply Now!
Please note: Candidates must respond to the questions below and attach a current resume to be considered.
Please fill out you Personal Details below.