Counsellor - Alcohol & Other Drugs
Anglicare SQ - Mental Health & Wellbeing - West Moreton, QLD
About the Position
Anglicare's Mental Health & Family Wellbeing team are passionate, professional and productive. We work together delivering a range of services that support families, children and individuals and contribute to building stronger, more resilient communities. We provide services to clients and families, across a range of programs, who experience problems with alcohol and substance abuse or dependence and who have other complex needs related to their substance use, and are currently looking for a full time Counsellor to join us. The role will be based at Booval & Riverview, covering Gatton, Lowood, Laidley and Somerset regions.
The Counsellor is responsible for the effective delivery and positive promotion of the Alcohol and Other Drugs Program to referred young people through the provision of a biopsychosocial assessment, group and individual relapse prevention counselling, case management, harm reduction education and information sessions. In addition, the position will be required to participate in networks to support referrals and facilitate access to other agencies that contribute to optimal outcomes for clients. Counsellors may also be required to deliver assessment, education and brief intervention sessions to clients referred under the Police and Illicit Drugs Court Diversion program.
Having a background in generalist counselling across Mental Health or Youth and Families, you will also offer:
- Solid experience of drug and alcohol case management and counselling
- Ability to administer and interpret outcomes-based assessments, and perform drug and alcohol assessments
- Facilitation of both group and individual counselling, and provision of support services using evidence based frameworks
- Proven abilities in intervention strategies, data collection methods, planning and goal development
- A dedication to work collaboratively with internal and external agencies and groups to manage risk and provide the best outcomes possible
- Participation in continuous improvement objectives and maintaining current awareness of legislative requirements and practice standards
A highly effective communicator, you will engage quickly and effectively with a range of people, and bring these attributes:
- Maturity and emotional resilience with the ability to self-care effectively
- A calm, professional approach with the ability to use initiative & sound judgement in decision making
- Demonstrated organisational and self-management skills with the ability to prioritise your own workload whilst working within a team environment
- Excellent communication skills and a sound understanding of group dynamics
- Flexibility and availability to work outside of normal business hours as required, and across sites within the West Moreton Health & Hospital Service region
- Sound understanding of legal and ethical requirements around substance abuse
Your official qualifications and certifications will include:
- A degree in Psychology, Counselling, Social Work or similar
- Post graduate qualifications in Counselling, Domestic Violence, Mental Health or Substance Abuse interventions would be considered highly desirable
- Current National Police Certificate
- Queensland Driver Licence and your own reliable vehicle
- Eligibility for, or current membership with AASW, APS or similar professional association
What We Offer
Anglicare is committed to building a highly skilled workforce, assisted by a dedicated management team. This unique opportunity to join a leading employer in the non-profit sector will also provide you with:
- A chance to work close to home and make a difference in your local community
- The opportunity to join a highly regarded service operating in Queensland for over 25 years
- Strong management and leadership structure in a rewarding and safe workplace that promotes excellence
- Ongoing training and development to improve personal and professional skills
- The capacity to increase your take home pay with salary packaging options
Show Your Interest
Apply now and be rewarded with a position that directly and positively influences the quality of life for our clients; working with an organisation that values your professional contribution and personal well-being. People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island heritage are strongly encouraged to apply.
To submit an application and to view a copy of the Position Description, click ‘Apply’ below or visit http://anglicaresq.org.au/career/ and refer to job number S3143
For further information please contact
Anna Haylock on 07 3028 4600
Applications close Sunday 19th November 2017
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to complete a Pre-Employment Assessment that requires disclosure of pre-existing injuries, illnesses or conditions that could reasonably be aggravated by performing the duties of this position.
Anglicare Southern Queensland is a proud member of the Anglicare Australia network. We provide the support you need for the life you want in partnership with government and other support organisations in response to identified care needs throughout southeast Queensland.
For over 140 years our staff have connected with people on every step of their life path, responding with compassion, creativity, commitment and courage to the needs of the members of our community who require support.
Every day the passionate staff and volunteers of Anglicare Southern Queensland are working to respond to growing community demand for our services. Whether it is providing nursing care and domestic assistance in the home, physiotherapy to enable the return of mobility, emergency accommodation for victims of domestic violence, working with foster carers in the care of vulnerable children, a safe caring environment for the elderly, skills training for young unemployed people or parental education and counselling, Anglicare Southern Queensland is here, to offer the best quality support to enable you to live the life that you want.
We also offer a range of specialist services within indigenous, homeless, multicultural and rural and remote communities. The work of Anglicare Southern Queensland stretches from Cairns to Coolangatta, from Birdsville to Brisbane and reaches out to support to people of all ages with a variety of needs.
Anglicare Southern Queensland has a workforce of over 2500 people in Queensland across residential aged care, community care and a range of social services programs all working towards a happier, healthier community.