Guide Dog Trainer
- Permanent full-time position in one of the world’s most liveable cities
- Opportunities available for mentorship and development
- Unique opportunity to contribute to growing Guide Dog and Autism Assistance Dog programs in Adelaide’s CBD
We currently have an exciting opportunity to work within our Guide Dog Services team to play a key role in the delivery of our Guide Dog and Autism Assistance Dog development programs.
About Guide Dogs SA/NT
At Guide Dogs SA/NT we use our expertise in dogs and vision to promote independence, participation, inclusion and wellbeing for people with low vision, blindness or specialized support needs.
We offer a collaborative, flexible working environment and opportunities for growth and development. We have also just been awarded the second most reputable charity in Australia by RepTrak!
About the role
As a Guide Dog Trainer, you will be responsible for training and assessing the suitability of our training dogs/puppies for the Guide Dogs program against Guide Dogs SA/NT and International Guide Dog Foundation (IGDF) standards.
This role also supports and supervises Guide Dog stock and works closely with the Guide Dog Mobility Instructors (GDMIs) and Puppy Raising Advisors. In addition, you will assist with the ongoing education of our Puppy Raising volunteers, including involvement in regular handling sessions.
The successful candidate will be self-motivated and enjoy the variety and end-to-end service provision a smaller school has to offer.
In addition, you will:
- Hold a recognised qualification in Guide Dog Training
- Have an understanding of canine temperament and the developmental process
- Committed to building positive working relationships with your colleagues, clients and the community
- Have proven experience and ability to train Guide Dogs
A current Driver’s License and Police Clearances will be required.
Following Government Directions in relation to COVID-19 vaccinations, proof of full vaccination will be required.
As valued employee of Guide Dogs SA/NT you will have access to:
- Company car as tool of trade – petrol and vehicle maintenance all taken care of
- Opportunity to salary sacrifice and maximise your take-home pay
- Access to training and professional development opportunities
- Flexible working arrangements
- An Employee Assistance Program offering external counselling and support services to you and your family
- Make a difference for people living with low vision or blindness
For a complete description of the role’s key responsibilities and requirements, please review the Position Description.
For a confidential discussion please call Julie Bryksy, Human Resources Manager on (08) 8203 8333.
Please ensure your application addresses the requirements of the role as described in the Position Description and enter your details below to apply.
Please apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed on an immediate basis.