Environmental Health Officer
Salary Range: $83,112.29 to $99,240.96 pa + 10.5% superannuation
+ access to Private Leaseback/Pool Vehicle or $9,000 pa vehicle offset allowance
35 hours per week with access to flexi time
North Sydney Council administers the North Sydney local government area on Sydney’s picturesque lower North Shore. Our 400 employees look after 77,000 residents spread across 10 square kilometres of land on the foreshores of Sydney Harbour providing spectacular harbour views, beautiful parklands and a bustling CBD.
A full time opportunity currently exists for a dynamic, organised and action focused individual to join Council’s Environment and Building Compliance section within the City Strategy Division.
Environmental Health Officer duties will be varied and will include:
- Investigating alleged nuisances
- General routine inspections – food shops; skin penetration premises; cooling towers
- Investigating public health incidents
- Investigating matters under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997
The successful candidate will be a team player who is technically minded with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, along with:
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health or related field
- Class C Driver’s Licence
- Relevant experience as an Environmental Health Officer
- Demonstrated team and customer service skills
- Demonstrated, mediation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Working knowledge of Local Government Act 1993, Food Act 2003 and associated Regulation and Food Standards, Public Health Act 2010, Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997, and other relevant legislation, codes, guidelines and standards
- Demonstrated report and letter writing skills and clear oral communication skills
- Computer skills
- Post graduate studies and/or experience in related fields
- Experience inspecting cooling towers
- Policy development skills
- Vaccinated against COVID-19
Why work at NSC?
We're committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and positive workplace. Our teams are reflective of the communities in which we operate, and we value the unique contribution each member makes to the North Sydney Council. The work we do makes a real difference to the lives of our residents and contributes to their economic and social wellbeing.
North Sydney Council as an employer offers excellent employee benefits such as:
- Easy accessibility to work with spectacular harbour view work locations
- Access to Fitness Passport
- Excellent work-life balance with a 35-hour working week for indoor workers or fortnightly RDO’s for outdoor workers
- Flexible working hours with access to flexi-time
- Freedom to direct contributions to any compliant superannuation fund
- A holistic health and well-being program offering exercise classes, flu vaccinations, skin checks, a touch football team, weekly fruit deliveries, health seminars and more
- Health and Well-being programs for all employees such as Yoga, Pilates, Kick Boxing
- Access to employee recognition and reward program
- Weekly fruit baskets
- Free access to counselling sessions through our Employee Assistance Program
- Free financial advice by a certified Financial Planner
- Monetary transport allowance
- Invitations to local government events, training and planning sessions
- Access to corporate social events at picturesque harbour locations
- Casual dress days in support of charities and not-for-profit organisations
How to apply
Applicants are required to submit a resume and answer the selection criteria questions below.
To view the Position Description, Click Here
Closing Date: 02 October 2022 - 11.30pm
North Sydney Council is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity in order to provide a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. North Sydney Council also adheres to the principles of a child safe organisation and is committed to the care and protection of all children and young people. We strongly encourage candidates from wide-ranging backgrounds, identities and experiences to apply.