Regeneration Assistant - Riparian Projects
We are seeking a full-time Regeneration Assistant to join our Sustainability and Environment team. Council's Natural Area Rehabilitation program is focused on increasing the extent and quality of native vegetation in areas adjacent to the coast and waterways. Projects include within our estuaries to upper catchment rainforest streams and the coastal dunes.
The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the conservation of the areas flora and fauna, and be prepared to gain skills and experience in the management of natural areas.
About the role:
- Assist to establish and maintain natural area revegetation and regeneration sites throughout Tweed Shire
- Undertake maintenance and other duties as required in Council's riparian projects nursery
- Undertake construction and maintenance of coastal and waterways infrastructure.
What's on offer:
- a base salary ranging from $965.33 per week with competency-based increments up to $1,094.04 per week, plus 10.5% super
- 38 hour week, 9 day fortnight
- training and development opportunities
- flexible work options for a healthy work/life balance
- generous employment conditions (we have too many to list - click here for more).
We are seeking:
- Minimum TAFE Certificate 3 in Conservation and Land Management (or similar qualification)
- Vehicle and Boat Licences
- Experience in light constructions, and operation of light machinery and tools
- Competency in the use of herbicides
- Passion for the environment.
- Located on the picturesque far North Coast of NSW, bordering the Gold Coast.
- The Tweed is a vibrant, diverse location offering a lifestyle near the water, in a rainforest or on a farm.
- Tweed Shire Council is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
- Join an employer of choice. Professionals Australia (Local Government Engineers’ Association) has named Council the 2021 Employer of Choice for our great employment practices within NSW local government.
Where it's located:
This position is based in Murwillumbah, and can be directed to work from any Council work site.
Friday 30 September 2022 at 12 noon sharp (NSW time). Late applications will not be permitted.
Tweed Shire Council conducts pre-employment assessments as part of its recruitment process.
Job offers are not made until screening has been completed. Tweed Shire Council uses third-party providers to undertake:
- Pre-employment medical – some roles require a functional (physical) assessment, and all positions are subject to drug and alcohol screening (a positive test result means the recruitment process ends and your application will not be considered).
- Background screening - verifies that the information you have provided throughout the recruitment process is true and correct. Click here for more information.
Reference Checks are undertaken by the panel. Your 2 referees should ideally be your current and most recent supervisors. Your referees are not contacted unless you’ve been interviewed and are a preferred candidate.
This position is identified as at risk of contracting vaccine-preventable/manageable diseases and as a consequence impacted employees are strongly recommended to participate in Council’s workplace vaccination program.
How To Apply:
You must use your own email address, and not one used previously by another person that has applied for a position with council.
Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields:
- Have your Resume document ready to go.
- Fill out all questions below. Click 'Next'. For tips on how to address the selection criteria, click here
- You'll then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable). Click 'Next'.
- Review your application to confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to submit your application.
If you'd like to COPY and PASTE selection criteria fields into a separate Word document to work on over time, please find them listed below:
1. Hold a TAFE Certificate 3 in Conservation and Land Management.
2. Hold a Current Vehicle Licence – Car or Light Rigid or Medium Rigid or Heavy Rigid or Heavy Combination.
3. Hold a chemical user accreditation.
4. Demonstrated experience in regeneration/revegetation work.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of native plants and environmental weed species.
6. Demonstrated experience in light construction, e.g. Fencing, tracks etc.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of safe work practices related to natural area regeneration work.
8. Demonstrated competence in provision of quality customer service.
9. Demonstrated competence in operation of brush-cutters, chainsaws and hand tools.
10. Demonstrated competence in the safe use of herbicides.
11. General Construction Induction Card (White Card).
12. Hold a NSW Boat Drivers Licence.
13. Interest in and commitment to improving the environmental management of Tweed Shires Bushland and Waterways.
OFFICE USE ONLY